Follow us on
This policy covers GiveCollege.com, Inc.’s practices relating to the information it collects from or about its current and past members and website visitors, including your rights to limit the sharing of certain information we may have about you.
Information We May Obtain
As part of providing you products or services, we may obtain information about you from various sources, including the following:
Information you provide. We obtain information you provide to us when you join GiveCollege, that you otherwise enter through our website, or that you provide to us in writing or by telephone, such as when you contact our customer care staff. This information may include items such as your name, address, mobile device ID (UDID), telephone number, location, social security number, credit card numbers and/or other financial account information such as student loan, savings account and/or 529 college savings account numbers. If you give GiveCollege your location, for example, when you use a GiveCollege mobile application or give us your current ZIP code, we may use and store that information to provide you with location-based information or messaging, including, for example, offers or advertising. If you do not want to give GiveCollege your location, do not enter your current location on our website or mobile applications and do not allow your mobile device to send it to us.
Information from third parties. We may obtain information about you from third parties including GiveCollege participating companies, our affiliates, public sources and others. This information could include, among other things, information about your purchases with GiveCollege participating companies, information about your transactions and account activity with us, our affiliates and others, your location if you allow your mobile device provider to send it to us, your mobile device ID, publicly available demographic data, and information needed to comply with regulatory requirements, ensure the accuracy of data, better understand your likely interests, and/or prevent fraud.
Cookies and other technologies. When you visit the GiveCollege website, we send one or more cookies to your computer or other device. We also use other similar technologies such as tracking pixels, tags or similar tools when you visit our website, or use our mobile applications. These technologies can collect data regarding your operating system, browser type, device type, mobile device ID, screen resolution, IP address and other technical information, as well as navigation events and session information as you interact with our website or mobile applications. Among other things, this information allows us to understand how you use the GiveCollege service, website and mobile applications and what products and services may be of interest to you. The cookies we place can also be used to allow the advertising networks we work with to set and read their own cookies and collect similar information. Please see the section titled "Third Party Advertisers and Third Party Applications and Services" below for more information about our use of third party advertisers. You can generally remove, block, or disable cookies using the settings in your web browser. However, if you remove the cookies we place, it will impact your ability to use GiveCollege since you will be unable to enroll or log in to our service through our website. You will, however, be able to browse our website as a visitor. If you are a member of GiveCollege, information collected using cookies or similar technologies may be associated with personally identifiable information, such as name and e-mail address, we have about you.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information we obtain in order to develop, offer, deliver and improve our products and services, to offer products and services of our affiliates, participating companies, marketing partners and other companies, to process transactions in your accounts, to fulfill legal and regulatory requirements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. For example, we use the information to:
- Operate the GiveCollege website, services, and applications;
- Deliver products and services to people who use our site, services, and applications;
- Understand how visitors use our website and mobile applications, and determine whether the content on them is effective;
- Improve our website, services and application offerings;
- Personalize your experience on our website or when you use our services or applications and customize the communications and advertisements you receive from us and our affiliates and others;
- Deliver advertisements and other information about products, services and applications offered by GiveCollege, our affiliates, our participating companies and others on the GiveCollege website, via email, as you surf the Internet and when you use our mobile applications; and
- To let us know which emails have been opened by recipients to understand the effectiveness of our marketing and other communications and to make those communications more useful and interesting to you.
Our Information Sharing Practices
Information about our members, former members, website visitors and mobile application users is an important part of our business. We do not share your personal information except as permitted or required by law, including as provided below:
Sharing Information with Nonaffiliated Third Parties. We do not share your personal information with nonaffiliated third parties except as permitted or required by law, including as provided below:
- Agents and Service Providers. In order to provide our products and services, we may share personal information about you with agents and service providers located in the U.S. and in other countries to perform functions on our behalf, such as to send email and postal mail, analyze data, provide marketing services, process applications and credit card payments, and service accounts. When we use these third parties, we may disclose any of the personal information that we collect, although we give them only the personal information reasonably needed to perform the service. We contractually obligate these service providers to access and use personal information only as needed to perform their functions for us and for no other purposes.
- Financial Services Providers. In order to make certain financial products available to you (for example, credit cards, loans or insurance), we sometimes enter into joint marketing agreements with nonaffiliated financial institutions that offer those products. We may provide these entities with any of the personal information that we collect, although we give them only the personal information reasonably necessary under the marketing agreement. We select the financial institutions we work with very carefully, and these entities are permitted to use the personal information we give them only for the specific products being offered under our contract.
- Maintain and Service your GiveCollege Account. We may disclose personal information about you to third parties as reasonably necessary to maintain and service your GiveCollege account, including to facilitate transactions you've requested and to track and process your GiveCollege earnings.
- Protection of GiveCollege and Others. We may disclose personal information about you to third parties when we believe such disclosure is appropriate to comply with a legal requirement, such as a law, regulation, court order, subpoena or search warrant, or in the course of a legal proceeding. We may also disclose personal information as we believe appropriate to enforce or apply our rights under our agreements (such as, for example, our Member Agreement) with third parties, including our members, and to protect the rights, property or safety of GiveCollege, our members and others, including exchanging information for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Business Transfers. If there is a change of control in GiveCollege’s business (whether by merger, sale, or otherwise), our members' information could be sold as part of that transaction and your personal information potentially could be used by the purchaser. If the purchaser intends to materially change the terms applicable to your personal information, you will be notified by a notice posted on the website or in another appropriate manner and be given appropriate choices with respect to previously collected personal information.
- With your consent. We also may share your personal information with a third party if you consent to the sharing.
GiveCollege may share with third parties, including nonaffiliated, non-financial institutions, information that does not personally identify individual members or visitors for any reason GiveCollege deems necessary or desirable.
Third Party Advertisers and Third Party Applications and Services
Security of Your Personal Information
GiveCollege is committed to earning and keeping your trust. We understand the need for our members' personal information to remain secure and private. To protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we use security measures that comply with federal law. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. Further, only GiveCollege employees who have a business need to access your personal information are authorized to do so. No method of transmission over the internet nor any method of electronic storage is 100% secure. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee absolute security over your personal information.
Please remember that you also play a valuable part in data security. You should never share your GiveCollege password with anyone. If you feel your password has been compromised, you should change it immediately. After you have finished using our site or applications, you should log out of your GiveCollege account and exit your browser so that no unauthorized persons can use our site under your name and account.
How can I access and update my GiveCollege data?
You may access and update information stored in your account profile by visiting the GiveCollege site. Please keep your contact, account, and preference information up-to-date. Doing so ensures that your contributions are properly tracked and received. It also helps us inform you of GiveCollege savings or other opportunities.
We will retain your information for as long as you are a GiveCollege member and/or we reasonably deem it necessary to provide you services, comply with our legal or other obligations, resolve potential disputes, audit our records and/or enforce our rights and obligations under our agreements. If you no longer want us to use your information to provide you services, you may terminate your GiveCollege membership.
In addition to the rights described in this policy, please note that you may have additional rights under state law. For example, for accounts with a California mailing address, we will not share your personal information with a financial company for joint marketing purposes except as required or permitted by law. In addition, for accounts with a Vermont mailing address, 1) we will not share your consumer report information with our affiliates except as required or permitted by law, and 2) for joint marketing with other financial companies, we will only disclose your name, contact information and information about your transactions unless otherwise required or permitted by law.
Collection of Information from Children:
GiveCollege’s products, services, applications and utilities are not intended for purchase by children. Accordingly, GiveCollege does not knowingly collect, either online or offline, personal information from children under the age of 13.
Cookies - A "cookie" is a small string of text that is sent to your computer or mobile device when you use our website. When you use our website again, the cookie may allow that site to recognize your browser, computer or mobile device. Cookies may also store user preferences and other information. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features or services on our website may not function properly without cookies.
Personal Information - "personal information" is information that personally identifies you to the party receiving such information, including but not limited to your name, address, email address and social security number.
Effective Date: March 15, 2012